Monday, June 27, 2011

hammerhead is finished!

Here is a final render of the hammerhead model! It's looking good and I'll be starting a new one soon...
here is a screenshot and two angles of a final render. learned a few things about alpha channels and their use in texture rendering. The model has been rendered with normal map, Ambient occlusion, and a light emission texture. In this scene there are 3 light sources, as well as the internal source from the character. At the moment the subsurface scattering wasn't really working for me, so I'll have to explore that another time.
more to come...


Saturday, June 11, 2011

making progress with 3D models

I've just updated Blender 2.5 to the latest 2.57b build, which is huge improvement from the 2.54a build i was using last time, whipping up some shapes has been a breeze. Sometimes I'll start with a cube and begin to extrude parts out of it, adjusting the vertices as I go along. Although for simpler things I'll model them in SketchUP since it can sometimes take less times or certain types of shapes can be better achieved.

So far I've put together the low poly model of my hammerhead character and I've got a magic box with it's tongue sticking out. Finally, there is a cube that I made for the purpose of a trial run with the source engine and I'll see how it works once it's exported/compiled into .smd format. More to follow...





Thursday, June 2, 2011

hammerhead

Here is the start of a new 3D model, Hammerhead. I drew this up as a sketch in my sketchpad and eventually decided to make it the basis for my next model, it's been a while since I did my last one. This one will be much more detailed and hopefully, rendered in Unreal engine or Source engine. :D